Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Motel 6. Not.

It is often thought that urban living is dangerous. Certainly there are dangers and inconveniences for dogs who live in the city. Leash laws! Ugh! Persnickety individuals who mistake herding instincts for aggressive behavior. Ugh! Ask Radley if you don't believe me. But the real dangers are in the places where there is just enough urban to make for paved streets and just enough rural to allow coyotes to stray through. They were milling about from the early hours this morning. It was all I could do to drive them off. Boss thinks there is something noble and individualistic about them, although to his credit, he does think I am noble enough and individualistic enough for his taste and for our relationship. I do not think, he has told me recently, that I could forge a relationship with a coyote that comes close to what we have. I believe, he said, that we are a remarkably good fit. Well enough that he realizes. What coyote, for instance, would take such an interest in his work? What coyote would take pleasure in his company? What coyote would bestir himself or herself to travel with him to Woodside, when he hosts those writing persons every other month? What coyote would endure the rigors of a Motel 6 just to be with him? And now that I think about it, what dean would suggest that a coyote be the mascot of the department?

It is a no brainer. Coyotes should be seen from a distance--a great distance.

No comments: